Monday, July 17, 2006

Saturday’s work-out &c., July 15/06

Coach Steve wrote:
Cycle 3 hours steady effort, hilly ride through and around Beaver Valley
Run 1.25 hours base pace
Another day in which I had real problems getting out in a timely fashion. Part of the problem was not wanting to be a bad guest. There I was at a b.&b. The earliest we could get breakfast was 7:30 a.m. By the time I’d gotten out, it was almost 9:30.

Fortunately for me, “Coach Bogie” was also late. Phew!

We were to meet at the Epping Lookout. I picked out a very straightforward route: south on 7th Line, east on Grey Road 40, and south on Grey Road 7. South of the Big Head River, 7th Line climbs the Niagara Escarpment. Let me warn you: this is a very steep hill. I wanted to give up; I wanted to walk; indeed, I was worried that if I didn’t click out I’d hit bicycle stall speed (about 4 or 5 miles per hour), and topple over! By the top I was breathing like a 19th-century steam engine, and I had stars before my eyes. What a way to start a hilly ride!

I met Bogie pretty much at Scott’s place (which is just north of the Epping Lookout), and we headed south on Road 7, almost, but not quite, into Kimberley. Tremendous speed on this long, moderate hill, topping out above 36 miles per hour. It confirmed that my bike remains nicely trued, at least.

Where Road 7 joins Road 13, we turned north along the Beaver River. (The Beaver River is what’s called an erratic stream, just a minor stream that fills a valley carved by much greater forces, in this case a massive glacial spillway that chewed up several hundred square kilometres of the Niagara Escarpment.) Not hilly yet; but it was when we turned along famous Grey Road 19, heading toward Ravenna. Some construction forced us onto 18 Side Road (dirt and gravel, but tolerable) before we reached the convenience store in Ravenna.

I was getting puffy so I chewed through half a bag of Ruffles, and a bottle of Powerade. We reversed route, and we finished the ride with the “20-minute” climb of Road 7 from the valley floor to Epping Lookout. Bogie showed off by going to the top of the hill, descending, and then catching me up again. Harumph.

He was kind enough to get me to the b.&b. in his Blazer. I promptly fell asleep.

The ride: 43.8 miles in 3 h 14 min.

I didn’t run, I’m afraid: I’m only into pool running these days, and there was no pool!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home