Thursday, July 24, 2008

Mortality

No picture for this post.

My mother died on December 13, 1987, aged 54 years, 9 months, & 27 days - 20,023 days from her birth in February 1933.

I knew I was approaching the age she was when she died. I do wonder why this floated to the top of my mind—I hadn’t been counting or anything.

But yesterday I did the calculation: I was 20,024 days old, one day older than my mother was when she died. And today I am two days older.

Monado’s immediate comment when I told her was, “You’re free! You can do whatever you want!”

I’m not sure what I think or feel about this, but it feels important to me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I get it. Hugs Rick.

And I agree with Monado - you're free! You are not doomed to die when Mom did.

4:01 p.m.  
Blogger arthur said...

Hi Richard,

Good call on not doing IM - if you aren't ready mentally for it, it's not worth it.

Live to fight another day - I support your decision 100%.

Hope you are able to pick yourself up from this! Some fall running races eh? Are you looking to break 30 mins in the 10k? :)

Kindest regards,

Arthur

ps will i see you at swimming tonight?

11:35 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home